In the quiet time of our self-imposed social distancing and quarantine, I have marveled at all of the love, the resources, and the care that is going around the world. Once again, even when some of our leaders cannot figure out what to do, we, the people, step up. We care, we love, we connect.
Every year, I see the incredible power of the Global Read Aloud as children around the world listen to the same books read aloud, create connections, and shrink the world through the bonds that stretch far, passing walls and borders on their way. Every year I am not sure that we can find books and creators as amazing as the year prior and yet here we are; another set of incredible work to choose from,
There are a few things that mark a Global Read Aloud choice:
- It is a well-written book, that also works as a read aloud, that will garner worldwide conversations, developing empathy, understanding, and deeper compassion for others.
- The length is manageable for 6 weeks of reading aloud – this is a huge part and this is often where many amazing books don’t make the cut.
- It has not been used before in the project.
- It is widely accessible to people around the world.
- It tries to focus on own voices authors as well, and a mix between US-based and global authors.
Voting will start today and run a week. I am hoping to make the announcement of the chosen books and creators in the first week of April.
I can’t wait to see what gets chosen!
Stay safe, stay healthy, and stay home – if possible. Sending love.